Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Mini Saddle Bag Made From Neckties

A few years ago I tested a bag for a bag pattern designer. He was designing a saddle bag that he was going to send out to the testers, but he had some things happen at that time and so all us testers said we would be here when he wanted us to test the next bag. In the meanwhile, he emailed us a mini version of the saddle bag pattern he wrote and said the new bag would be larger, but similar to this bag. I thought for fun I would use some men's neckties to make this mini version. I had it cut out and pieces the front and back pieces, but then it somehow got put away and buried in my pile of UFO's for a couple of years. When I found it recently, I decided to finish this bag and here it is. But I can't help wonder what became of the designer? I never heard from him again. I hope he is alright, but I have no idea. He never posted to his Facebook Tester group (which I belong to), so it's a mystery I suppose.

Made from men's neckties on the front, back, flap and front pocket. The black gusset and strap as well as the lining are cotton fabrics.

The front has a flap and I added a turn lock closure instead of a magnetic snap.

Back view of bag.

Mostly silk ties. I used a decorative stitch to quilt this.

The front has a nice slip pocket, great for keys or a cell phone.

Oh how embarrassing to see all that lint! I thought I had cleaned it off, but now that I see the photos, obviously I didn't do a very good job of it, lol!!! Anyhow, this is the inside with a slip pocket and a pen pocket.

Pin It Now!

11 comments:

  1. I see all sorts of things in my photos that I didn't notice before. Using men's ties is a great idea, Daryl. Looks awesome, but not obviously made from ties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really cute design! What a shame he disappeared! Doesn't stuff like that freak you out? I've followed a few bloggers that have just cold turkey never posted a thing again anywhere, and I always wonder if something tragic happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it interesting that items that went into the time-out/ufo pile can emerge later as gorgeous. I agree with Pam - I like that it's not obvious your fabric was men's ties. Awesome upcycle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A guy designer and you used guy's ties! Very appropriate. I like thiis bag and how you used a decorative stitch to quilt it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL - Lint has a way of only showing in photos.
    This is a great bag and what a fun way to repurpose old ties! You make the best bags Daryl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. loving this bag, the pocket at the front would be ideal for my OAP bus pass, have quite a few silk ties I have bought in charity shops maybe this is a project that would work for them

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, dark colors are very bad for showing lint. This reminds me of all the times I put on a black t-shirt before starting to sew. lol
    Nonetheless, your bag turned out quite pretty with all the ties assembled together. They make a beautiful 'fabric'. Which make a beautiful bag. This must have taken some time to achieve, but it was worth it.
    Thank you for participating to my Fabric, Thread and Yarn link party. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a really cute bag and a great use of some ties!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to receive your row for the Road to Home quilt along. Thanks. Shirley shirleysoellner@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to receive your row for the Road to Home quilt along. Thanks. Shirley shirleysoellner@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to receive your "The Road Home Row Along: The Colorful Sky of New Mexico". This is my favorite, so far. Thanks. tfassburg@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I appreciate every one. If you do not hear a reply back from me, it could be that you are a no-reply, or that Google/Blogger has changed something (again!) making it impossible to respond back to you. If you want a reply because you asked a question, please fill out the Contact Form located on the right side of the blog and I will respond to you that way. Thank you for stopping by! I was forced to add comment moderation due to huge number of SPAM!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...